Experts to Help You Navigate, Negotiate, and Resolve Tough Challenges
Proactive environmental, health, and safety compliance management reduces business risk. However, we know that maintaining compliance can be time-consuming and require a breath of expertise that may be difficult to maintain in-house.
Our team of regulatory experts can assist you with developing, reviewing, auditing, implementing, and improving a full-range of compliance management programs to meet environmental, health, and safety regulations, as well as your corporate standards. Our goal is to be an extension of your team, offering a highly responsive, clearly thought-out, experienced approach to solving business-sensitive compliance issues.
Air Quality Modeling
Providing accurate modeling and management methods to help you achieve your business objectives and maintain federal and state compliance for new, expanded or changed operations.
Mergers & Acquisition Transaction Support
To achieve regulated environmental clean-ups, support property transactions and help our clients engage in redevelopment activities.
Independent evaluation of your current management practices to identify unique solutions and alternatives.
Property Condition Assessments
Helping you understand and quantify potential liabilities and/or avoid future claims.
Regulatory Compliance Audits/Reporting
Diversified experience with complex Environmental Health and Safety issues to help identify applicable regulations and develop procedures and plans that meet your expectations.
Developing straightforward and easily implemented safety programs, compliance assistance and auditing, and training programs for industrial, private, and institutional facilities.
At the outset of the project, we assisted with the various aspects of managing a large-scale renovation and demolition project. Demonstrating Verdantas' versatility, our services for this education sector client ranged from planning and completing a hazardous building material survey, to preparing comprehensive characterization reports and work plans to guide abatement activities over a 5-year period.
DATA GAP ANALYSIS – The first step in the project was to compile the existing asbestos survey and abatement data to prepare a database of testing results to evaluate what media needed testing to plan abatement activities. This step reduced the number of samples for testing.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL CHARACTERIZATION REPORTS – The project included coordinating a hazardous building material survey and identification of laboratory decontamination requirements based upon historical use. We prepared two Work Plans for different portions of the Science Center to identify impacted building materials, project sequencing, and contractor responsibilities for bidding purposes. We partnered with Environmental Health, Inc. to provide Project Monitoring (PM) services during abatement.
SOIL STABILZATION AT FORMER GREENHOUSE – During demolition of the former Greenhouse complex lead-impacted soil required stabilization to render the soil non-hazardous before excavation and disposal. We prepared the Soil Management Plan, oversaw stabilization activities, and collected confirmatory soil samples.
ASBESTOS OPERATION, MONITORING AND MAINTENANCE (OMM) PLANS – At completion of the renovation project, we prepared OMMs Plans for two portions of the building where asbestos containing materials (ASCM) not abated. The plans identify the location of ACM and provide management guidelines to minimize the potential for exposure.
Scope of Services
- Abatement Project Monitoring
- Hazardous Building Material Assessment
- Building Hazardous Material Abatement Work Plan
- Greenhouse Area Soil Stabilization and Disposal
- Underground Injection Control Requirements
- Regulatory Program Assistance
Environmental Health & Safety
EHS/Compliance Services | Hazardous Building Materials Characterization and Abatement Work Plan
Hazardous building materials characterization and abatement work for large-scale renovation and demolition project
Our versatility in engineering and environmental consulting enabled us to provide a wide-range of on-call services this client for over 15 years. From geotechnical engineering to support facility expansion, to civil engineering, to EHS/compliance services, Verdantas has demonstrated that the depth and breadth of our experts and our responsive service results in long-term relationships with our clients.
GEOTECHNICAL INVESTIGATION – We conducted a geotechnical investigation associated with an expansion of the facility’s garage/office building. We identified unsuitable solid waste fill within the footprint of the new building and provided geotechnical recommendations for proper preparation of the building pad.
CIVIL ENGINEERING – We prepared a civil engineering plan set for submission to the town for permitting expansion of the facility for new above-ground propane storage tanks.
SPILL PREVENTION, CONTROL AND COUNTERMEASURE PLAN PREPARATION – We prepared the plan for the facility to meet compliance requirements of the US Environmental Protection Agency’s (USEPA’s) Oil Spill Prevention and Preparedness Regulations. As part of the plan preparation, we identified a deficiency in the storage capacity of the secondary containment associated with the above-ground storage tank field. The civil engineering plans provided details for increasing the secondary storage capacity for the tank field to meet compliance objectives.
Scope of Services
- Geotechnical Investigation and Design
- Civil Engineering Layout and Design
- Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure Plan Preparation
Environmental Health & Safety | Civil Infrastructure
Geotechnical Engineering, Civil Engineering and SPCC Compliance
Geotechnical engineering, civil engineering and EHS/compliances for petroleum distributor.
Verdantas began providing biennial environmental health and safety (EHS) auditing in 2015 to an international client who provides high-technology supply chain services to automotive, aerospace, and industrial manufacturing customers. Our client has a sophisticated worldwide quality assurance system including rigorous EHS standards. Verdantas' EHS professionals have assisted our client in achieving their internal goal of 100 percent compliance and safe operations that are in compliance with US and Canadian regulations as well as the company’s own internal policies and requirements.
Biennial EHS auditing. We provide detailed EHS compliance auditing for 16 US and Canadian facilities biennially, with ½ of the facilities audited each year. Auditing incudes the full range of OSHA 1910 general industry programs and Canadian federal and provincial requirements.
Safety program development and implementation. We have assisted the client in developing and implementing safety programs meeting US, Canadian, and internal company standard including control of hazardous energy, fall protection, electrical safety, and respiratory protection.
Safety program administration. We have provided oversight and administration of certain safety programs (e.g., respiratory protection annual fit testing, medical clearances for new employees, and annual updates to the written program) to support facility operations, allowing managers to focus on productions activities while ensuring compliance with safety requirements. Verdantas also provides industrial hygiene monitoring services including noise, dust, and chemical-specific surveys (e.g., chromium) to support program administration and PPE decisions.
New facility start-up – EHS program implementation. Verdantas has assisted in safety program implementation and EHS permitting for new facility start-ups in Ohio and California.
Scope of Services
- Health and Safety Program Development and Implementation
- Biennial Safety Program Auditing
- Strategic Planning for New Facilities
- Program Development, Administration, Support, and Corrective Action
Safety auditing and corrective actions. Verdantas' EHS auditing program includes assessment of compliance at 16 US and Canadian facilities with the following OSHA programs and internal company policies:
- Accident/injury management
- Contractor safety management
- Hot work
- Confined spaces
- Control of hazardous energy
- Compressed gases
- Emergency action planning
- Ire prevention
- Noise exposure
- Respiratory protection
- Personal protective equipment
- Toxic/hazardous substances
- Hazard communication
- Process safety training
- Safety program training
- Crane and hoist safety
- Powered industrial trucks
- Electrical safety
- Fall protection
- Ladders and powered platforms
- Machine guarding
We provide the facility and corporate EHS with our findings and recommendations in table format and an accompanying corrective action matrix. Corrective actions are tracked and completed throughout the year with Verdantas support provided to facility managers and EHS leads.
Safety program development and implementation. Verdantas has assisted the client with development and implementation of several key safety programs, including the following:
- Control of Hazardous Energy – Verdantas has worked with the client’s corporate EHS and regional engineering service managers to develop state-of-the-practice lockout-tagout (LOTO) procedures for the full range of equipment at each North American facility. The procedures are visually based, relying on a master spreadsheet listing all equipment and energy sources for each facility. The spreadsheet is linked to individual procedures for each machine or unit which include a color-coded table of energy sources (electrical, air/pneumatic, compressed gases, and water); photos of LOTO devices needed for the piece of equipment; photos of LOTO points in energized position and in de-energized position with the LOTO device applied; and detailed step-by-step procedures for LOTO of each energy source.
- Fall Protection – As part of our biennial EHS auditing program, we identified areas where employees were working at heights without overhead fall protection. We worked with the client to evaluate fall protection options including anchor system assessment by a structural engineer. Based on the results of our fall protection evaluation, we assisted in developing a system-wide fall protection program consisting of a combination of ladder use, mast and scissors lifts, and overhead fall protection with certified anchor points and retracting lifeline systems. The fall protection program has been implemented at all US and Canadian facilities.
- Respiratory Protection – The client requested assistance from Verdantas in 2016 to upgrade its voluntary respirator use to a mandatory program for the use of filtering facepiece respirators for certain operations. At the client’s request, Verdantas set up and has administered this program for the last 4 years including development of a written respiratory protection program and the use of subcontractors in the US and Canada to perform on-site fit testing and medical clearances for new employees. In addition, new and modified processes resulted in the addition of half-face and full-face respirator use to the program, which required updates to the written program and modifications to testing protocols in 2018 and 2019.
- Electrical Safety – we have assisted the client with development of a draft electrical safety program, including equipment labeling, work rules for live equipment, and PPE for direct shock and arc-flash protection. We have also provided preliminary assistance for developing a customized NFPA 70E training program for facility service technicians and regional service managers who maintain and troubleshoot specialized critical equipment.
Environmental Health & Safety
EHS/Compliance Services | Compliance Auditing, Health and Safety, and Program Development
Environmental health and safety (EHS) auditing for an international high-technology industrial manufacturing client.
Since 2016, the Verdantas Team has consistently provided thorough, accurate, and timely plan reviews despite the pressures of fast-paced development in the community.
Town Engineer Local Municipality, Delaware
Our municipality has utilized Verdantas as a consultant for capital projects involving the repair and replacement of its aging water and sewer infrastructure. They have provided initial engineering, design and construction management. The accuracy and thoroughness of their plans has resulted in capital projects that have consistently finished on time and within budget without unexpected change orders.
Town Engineer Local Municipality, Delaware